Thursday, December 3, 2009

Mortgage: The Musical

This was a comment my wife made about my Facebook status update. It really is exceptionally good so I thought I would preserve it for the ages.

I don't know why, but Rent seems to have polarizing opinions. Either you really like it or you really hate it. I however fall into the third category, I find the music a little bit catchy and don't mind it, it's no "Fiddler", but I can accept it for what it is. This might be because I am a sucker for the great story ballads of the 70s like Harry Chapin's "Taxi", Gordon Lightfoot's "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", Don McLean's "American Pie", and a slightly earlier vintage "Alice's Restaurant Massacree" by Arlo Guthrie.

My thoughts today are what about making another musical based on the premise of Rent, where those 20-somethings with the world at their backs, get sucked up with the economic boom of the late 1990s and become the 30-somethings dealing with the setbacks of Bush's America on the cusp of economic collapse. I still have some of the musical lyrics to work out, but I am happy to have such a wonderful collaborator at my side.